One of the first questions people always ask, is “Do you know what you are having?” I may joke and say, “Hopefully a human baby!” But the answer is that when it comes to the sex, I have no idea…
I go back and forth because intuitively, I kind of feel like it’s a boy- I slip and call it “he” and for some reason I can imagine it as a boy much better. But on the other hand, it really likes boy bands and I am carrying like my sister did, who had two girls!
I thought it would be fun to go through the wives tales from this Parenting article and see what they say…
- Highs and Lows: This one you can do just by looking south: if you’re carrying high, break out the pink. If your bump is low, you’re carrying a boy. So far I’m right in the middle… IT’S ???
- Be Still My Beating Heart: Next time your OB pulls out the Doppler to listen to baby’s heartbeat, ask her to tell you what the heart rate is. According to legend, 140+ beats per minute indicates a girl, and below 140 a boy. At our 20-week ultrasound, the HR was 147… IT’S A GIRL!
- Sweet and Sour: Craving ice cream every single day? Some people believe this means it’s a girl. If you have to have salty or sour stuff, then it’s a boy. Ice cream and candy… IT’S A GIRL!
- Chinese Birth Chart: This ancient method uses your age at conception and the month you did the deed to determine gender. Try it here! 26 and April… IT’S A BOY!
- Potty Time: This one’s a little out there. Pee in a cup (you’ve been doing it at all your prenatal appointments anyway, haven’t you?), mix a tablespoon of Drano in, and watch to see if it changes color. Green = girl, and blue = boy. Hmm I don’t use Drano, but if I get a nasty clog (or find some in a friend’s cupboard!) I’ll get back to you on this one! IT’S ???
- Even and Odd: Legend has it that the Mayans determined a baby’s sex by looking at the mother’s age at conception and the year of conception. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one’s even and one’s odd, it’s a boy. 26 and 2012… IT’S A GIRL!
- Unlocking the Mystery: This is one for a friend to try. Place a key in front of your preggo friend and ask her to pick it up. If she grabs it by the narrow part, she’s in for sugar and spice and all that. If she picks it up by the round part, it’s snips and snails. I can’t really do this to myself… IT’S ???
- Spot On: If you’re breaking out like crazy, blame it on your girl babe. The belief goes that girls steal their mother’s beauty, hence, those annoying zits. Except for the flush, my skin is fine… IT’S A BOY!
- Nice Ring to It: Pop off your wedding ring — if you still can! — and tie it to a string. Hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, a little guy’s in your future. If it goes back and forth, you’ve got a girl. I put my rings on my headphone cord and held as still as I could… after the initial movement from the drop stopped, the rings moved in small circles- IT’S A BOY!
- Queasy Does It: Sick as a dog during the first trimester — or still? Signs indicate you’re having a girl. Little or no morning sickness points to a boy. Never sick… IT’S A BOY!
So far boy is winning, but by a close margin! This could really go either way!!!